Friday, June 9, 2017

London Bridge terror attack

This past Friday night I was perusing my collection of tiny house videos when I decided to check in to CNN for my regular world chaos update. The bold "BREAKING NEWS" banner flashed across the screen, which no longer spikes my heart rate as "Breaking news" can be news that broke several days prior, however this was different and it soon became apparent that I was watching history in the making as video images of the London Police vans, and pictures of individuals on the ground, people running, some partially clad, through the streets, directed by armed police ( unusual for Britain) . The news commentator announced that the carnage I was witnessing had killed 8 people, injured many more and resulted in the shooting of 3 terrorists all in the space of 8 minutes.  Further news reported that people had been stabbed in the nearby market and at least one victim was being cared for by a group of people hiding in place in a restaurant.  Another witness spoke of seeing a woman jump off the bridge and I still don't know what happened to her.
My heart fell for the people of Britain. How much more can my mother country take.  Westminster, Manchester and London all attacked within a short period of time seems surreal.
What is happening to this world? So much hate is hard to fathom. Viewing images of victims in various stages of injury from minor to absolutely obscene.  How can human beings perpetrate such evil on innocents. The lower chart is taken from Wikipedia reviewing the incidents that England has suffered. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families, and I hope that those who are still lost are found quickly for their families sake.
The United Kingdom has suffered greatly in the past few years and most recently 3 attacks in 3 months.
April 1999 David Copeland bombing- 3 dead-139 injured
July 7-2005-London Underground and Double Decker bus bombings - 50 killed-100s injured
May 22-2013-stabbing of Lee Rigby
Dec 5-2015-Muhaydin Mive-stabbed 2-both survived
June 16-2016- Jo Cox-British Member of Parliament (neo nazi group)
Mar 22-2017-Westminster-3 killed 29 injured-driver struck pedestrians-policeman stabbed
May 23-2017-Manchester-22dead 59 injured bombing of Ariana Grande concert
June 3-2017-London Bridge-Borough Market-Van attacked pedestrians on bridge-stabbings at Borough Market

No comments: