Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Goodbye Sweet Zoey


This Saturday I said goodbye to a loyal friend...a friend who quite literally was by my side through some of the most painful years of my life. She was always happy to see me, even if I'd only been gone for a few minutes! She was quiet in her demeanour...but also entertaining. We spent countless hours together chasing balls into the lake, or roaming the back trails together. She took "retrieving" to a new level, when she visited a friends cottage and proceeded to retrieve every pool noodle in the lake, whether there was a person attached to it or not!! She towed Matthew back into shore over and over again, and that was after she allowed him to swim at all...at first she would pull him out of the water as soon as his feet got wet. She loved to talk, and she and I had lengthy conversations together...she always knew just what to say.
I will miss her more than I can say, and the decision to bring her suffering to an end was probably longer than it should have been. But in the end, we were together still, and it was quick. Almost too quick...you're never ready to say goodbye no matter how prepared you think you are....you're just not.

No comments: