Sunday, August 9, 2009

Maiden Voyage

Well it's been awhile...sorry...I'll try to do better. Sometimes I feel as if I just don't have anything profound enough to say!!! May be I NEVER do!!!! But anyway...Matt has been GLUED to his Xbox, and although the weather has been awful, I wanted get us back onto the water again. We had an aluminium boat, but I am incapable of backing it in and out of the water, and our exits and entrances into the Marina were something akin to a Keystone cops water ballet!
....So.....we got 2 kayaks!...with the money from selling the boat....which we haven't sold yet(!).....
That being said, we immediately went to test them out (I mean immediately, wrapper still on the bow and stern of one of them)
Now entering and exiting a kayak for a 50 year young stiff woman who is ever so slightly overweight is not what you might describe as poetic...but I consoled myself with the fact that the boat ramp area was secluded by 9 ft. high bull rushes. I got in....we went out on the water and all was beautiful. We paddled over to an island and Matt decided to explore (into poison ivy we later discovered) I stayed in my boat and continued to paddle around. After and hour or 2 I felt tired and suggested we head back to shore. The wind had picked up a bit, as we started across the lake side by side, when Matt suggested that he would like to go for a swim~! I indicated that I didn't think that was such a great idea....that once out of his kayak he'd be unable to get back in....He suggested I could pull him back into my boat....I said NO....as I would then be in the water too!....but try as I might to dissuade him...he hopped out of his boat and swam! It was "wonderful" he said! He kept swimming (with life jacket) until he felt weeds under his feet, and then it was not so wonderful! I now have 2 kayaks that' I am failing at paddling, and a child who starts to yell "Help"! I quickly paddle to him...."what's wrong" I ask....."there are weeds in my feet" he answers!!!!! Over the next few minutes I try to get Matt to swim to the shore nearest to where we are where I can meet him with his boat, and he can get back in...but no....he's swimming to the boat ramp...way away from me....and I continue to get blown around with 2 kayaks going nowhere!!!!!
Then came the RESCUE! A family whose house is on the lake, had been watching our dilemma, and out they came in their powerboat....sped over and scooped Matthew out of the water.....sped to my side and picked up the other kayak, and took them to the shore in front of their house. They had another couple visiting them, and their teenage son with them on the lawn, as I paddled my kayak over to the shore, and then attempted to exit it gracefully.....attempted to exit it.....I couldn't get out on my own!!!!... I required assistance from the young man to pull my stiffened body...complete with numb legs that buckled in their first attempt to remain erect....onto the shore ....while smiling at the same time!!!!!
Matthew had a wonderful time, and we both enjoyed meeting our rescuers. They drove me back to my car, and the previously mentioned "secluded" launch spot, and then we went back to their house where they assisted us in securing the boats on and in the car. We shared with them that this was our maiden voyage, and all agreed that it was lucky that Matt has disembarked the kayak as he did, otherwise we would have no story to tell!!!!
And there it is...our Maiden Voyage!

No comments: