Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why did Anderson leave Egypt?

I'm glad to report that I'm having a really good day today despite a few hiccups in my plans and activities.  I have been trying to pace myself by doing just a few things each day, while being totally engrossed in the events in the middle east.  I actually watched Aljezeera (spelling?) tonight and their reporting was quite different from CNN's!....what a surprise...so I was wondering, (ever since Anderson Cooper disappeared from the dingy curtain wrapped room of some unnamed hotel near Liberation Square and reappeared back in the warmth and safety of the CNN newsroom) did they think the protests were over... how much of the world's events, disasters, political decision making, is actually shaped by our news consumption rather than merely "reporting" the facts.  How much pressure do politicians feel when the media is either continuously reporting that leaders are NOT doing/saying anything, and/or slant their statements to make them sound oppositional than they were.  I'm sure that the protesters who risked and some who lost their lives were happy to learn that they really didn't have to do all that...all that was needed was a quick call from the President of the United States to get things done!!  I'm certain that not only the protesters, but Mubarak must have been elated to see how quickly US news turned a 30 year dictator into a simpering idiot!!!  The influence that the media has, is frighteningly strong, and the political impact profound...ie.  Donald Trump may be running for President!?...Sarah Palin !?...I rest my case!  Very scary....(Donald Trump just said that China is Americas enemy...and doesn't China basically own the US debt!!!!!!  LOOK OUT EVERYONE>>>>I'M SO GLAD I'M CANADIAN!!!

1 comment:

rana said...

very nice and u were absoultly right :)
BTW its "aljazeera ":D