Friday, June 25, 2010

Who Killed the King of Pop?

Today is the 1 year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death, and of course there are all sorts of commentaries about his life, his scandal, his struggles with drug dependency, and mostly his sudden death, that came as such a shock to everyone who ever knew of him and his music.  When he died, I must admit that my mind was most focused on the boys who had said that MJ sexually abused them...and some of the boy's, like Macaulay Caulkin(?sp), who said he didn't, but then displayed lots of the characteristics of an abuse survivor.  I wondered what they were thinking and feeling.  They would likely be ambivalent, and that would be understandable...ambivalence and self loathing are the cardinal signs...but I hope that those around them did, and continue to, support them appropriately as they cope with the revised version of the memories of MJ as they will continue to morph over time.
Today when I was watching the synopsis of his life, suggestions of a conspiracy and his memorial service where they sang "No more cryin now we are going to see the King"...I was a little confused as to whether they were referring to God or to MJ...maybe that was just me...but it reminded me of this song I knew as a child...


"Who killed Cock Robin?" "I," said the Sparrow,
"With my bow and arrow, I killed Cock Robin."
"Who saw him die?" "I," said the Fly,
"With my little eye, I saw him die."
"Who caught his blood?" "I," said the Fish,
"With my little dish, I caught his blood."
"Who'll make the shroud?" "I," said the Beetle,
"With my thread and needle, I'll make the shroud."
"Who'll dig his grave?" "I," said the Owl,
"With my pick and shovel, I'll dig his grave."...
All the birds of the air fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
When they heard the bell toll for poor Cock Robin.  ...( you can fill in your own cast of characters!)

So who killed cock robin ? The King of Pop, died of an overdose of anaesthetic used to treat his insomnia.  At least that is what has been summarily reported, but apparently there is some dispute as to his cause of death, and on the eve of the 1st anniversary of his death, lawsuits have been filed by Jackson's father (who Jackson hated!) against the "This is it" corporation, as well as Dr. Conrad Murray who administered the medications to Michael, and was present at MJ's death (although he refused to sign the death certificate, despite the fact that MJ was already dead before he ever left his home)...so did Dr. Murray kill him?....apparently the family has more sinister beliefs than a mere medical error...there are emails where Dr. Murray had requested medical monitors, and a nurse...all of which were not delivered by AEG ... it is the families belief, although not clearly stated, that Mr. Ortega, AEG and all the producers of "This is it" were worried that MJ wasn't coming to rehearsals, and that MJ had explained that he needed Kenny Ortega to "build the house and he would come and paint the door" but AEG weren't buying it.  There are conflicts about whether or not MJ was fit enough to perform 50 concerts...the autopsy showing multiple health problems including bronchitis, brain swelling and other health issues that definitely would affect his ability to perform.  Just before writing this I watched "This is it "on HBO.  Taken from sections of rehearsal tapes, and blended together artfully, you got the flavour of what this show could have been...but it was also pretty obvious to me that he was not in peak performing condition, as he constantly downgraded his level of performance claiming he needed to "save his voice", which was also repeatedly off key or non existent.  I think if I had been the CEO of AEG, I would have been worried too! But I fail to see how MJ dead would be more profitable to AEG, than alive.  Was there some insurance taken out on Jackson to secure their investment?  It's also not clear whether it was MJ that wanted a personal physician, or AEG ... the contract for Dr. Murray's services and conditions there of remained unsigned by Jackson....why?

So my take on this day, after viewing "This Is It"?  It is very sad that a man with such talent could be so screwed up...but that fits the bill for our artists, and the perilous journey that most travel to get there.  As much as I can't really say I like the man, listening to his music tonight raised my spirits, and started me dancing, singing, and generally enjoying it.  His talent is undeniable.  What a waste of talent and life.

So "who killed The King" Michael Jackson? Will we ever know the truth about him...his life, and his death?  Highly unlikely!  But his music will live on, and bring joy to his listeners...and "This is it" would have been one heck of a show!!

No comments: