Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Crazy truth about Life

It's a funny thing about life...when you're young all you can think about is when you get to be grown up...you practice having intense relationships in your dreams...you crave the day when you can drive a car...when you can have ur own place...when u can have ur own money...go out whenever u want...blah...blah...blah..!! Once you get to the point when you have ur own car...have ur own job...have ur own place...have ur own money/debt...all u can think about is what ur going to do when u get ur next job...place...car...more money...what u'll do when u reach ur goals...but the goals and desires kepp changing and before u know it...somehow...sometime...u start looking back...and the really funny thing is that the cars...the jobs....the places...and the money/debt...is/are...in the grand scheme of things...pretty unimportant.  The only thing that's important are the people and the relationships, and how they have helped to shape who you are, and how that has shaped other people's lives who have shared, in a big or small way, in your life.  It's those moments in time when you have been truly authentic, and allowed the real you to embrace someone and potentially change the course of their lives!  That's a pretty huge thing...it's the best thing...it's the only thing that will make your life significant.  It's hard to share this simple truth with young people, beacause...well...they're young people!! They are, by nature of their condition, somewhat ...or very ...self absorbed, impulsive, and feel knowledgeable beyond their years, and now a days being knowledgeable beyond their years is a pretty consistent condition for teens in our present culture.  Being 13 now is way different than being 13 when my older sons were 13, and way way different than when I was 13 (obviously...I rode my dinosaur to school!!)..so it's very hard to impart wisdom to these kids, especially Biblical wisdom...because if I'm not relevant, they surely can't gain anything from a book written more than 2000 years ago!!!!! They think!!!But these are the years that this wisdom can guide and guard them from so much pain and dissappointment...knowing that you are loved beyond all measure, and no matter what happens, you will continue to be loved, and valued, and seen as a precious gift to be cherished...to be wrapped up in that love changes you...strengthens you...protects you from making choices that would harm you, because you don't need more attention than you already have...you fell safe and at home in your own skin.  There is no ulterior motive, no measure to achieve,...just safety and love and "peace that surpasses all understanding". In my own adolescence I didn't feel that confident in my lovability...I felt that on the list of "needs" priority...my needs were last on the list, and I carried that notion throughout my life...I still have a hard time with boundaries and saying no...but I found a way to solve it...I just don't have relationships, I don't go out anywhere!!! I have enough on my plate that I struggle with anyway...I can't look after anyone else!! That may sound terrible, but it's true, and I just live with it!!  But kids I meet, I still want to share that truth with them, and I hope that one day God will give me the chance to do more for our youth.  Thatis...if I can ever get out of this house!!!!  Well so much for serious,,,,time to lighten up....next time!!

No comments: