Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The heart of a home?

If the old adage, "the kitchen is the heart of the home" then the refrigerator is the aortic valve!  Especially when you have a teenage boy in the house, who all of a sudden has gone from having little to no appetite, only stopping eating to draw breath.  With this in mind, consider the circumstance of finding yourself with curdled milk, melted ice cream, and quantities of rotting meat and vegetables, and nothing else...not even the energy to go shopping for a loaf of bread let alone a fridge.  This is where we have been for the past 3 1/2 weeks, I might have mentioned it, and it hasn't been pretty.  Main Street Pizzeria was thinking of adopting Matthew, and at the very least, they were placed on speed dial!  I enjoy their food, probably more than occasionally, but even Matthew had begun to tire of a diet consisting of poutine; pizza; pogos and fries.  Once I had begun to feel better, I drove down to Brockville and purchased a new fridge, but to my dismay it would not be delivered until the middle of the following week.  My heart sank, but I accepted the fact that we would be struggling for another 7 - 10 days more. I had basically stopped eating anything but "raisin bran", and had no fight in me...only brief periods of whining.
Whining, it turns out, can be quite effective in problem solving!  Who knew...that a few words...when drawn out s l o w l y and with groaning mixed in, when observed by others (in this case Becka, Matt's girlfriend) results in the repetition of your plight falling on the ears of someone(s) MIGHTY, this being Becka's Mom, Nancy, volunteering....no almost demanding (praise God)...to rescue us out of our dilemma! I'm not good at asking for help!  Within 24 hours Nancy, Kyle (mighty son of mighty Nancy) and I were standing in Home Depot, truck at the ready, to pick up my fridge. Home Depot's customer service desk is akin to waiting for the second coming, however eventually four....FOUR...men and one woman came out to wrestle the almighty fridge into the back of the truck.  Not one to waste a minute, Nancy attempted to find me a husband as he helped load the fridge, noting that he had no wedding ring (a very attentive woman ) so I did, as prompted, ask him if he could come home with us and help us to install the fridge, to which he replied that it depended on whether I had cold beer!!!! I stated the obvious...."I'm buying a fridge, therefore I have no cold beer!!!!"...and that was the end of that! (my flirting skills obviously need work...it's been a long time, and will most assuredly be even longer!)  Anyway, off we went back to Athens...Nancy, Kyle, and me...and a HUGE fridge standing up tall in the back of the truck.  It seemed even larger once we backed into the driveway, opened the truck gate, and looked up at it! It appeared to be an impossible task, and Kyle and I stated our concern, most basically we feared for our personal safety!  Nancy remained undaunted and proceeded to push the fridge to the edge of the tailgate, and there we were, at the point of no return, the weight shifting in Kyle's direction, gravity taking charge, and the fridge begins to topple onto Kyle, while Nancy and I are trying to pull it back onto the ground!  Brave Kyle, came out of the ordeal with a scraped arm, and probably a renewed sense of appreciation for living!
Kyle and I are still not convinced that this task is achievable, and we are beginning to think that this new fridge, which is now out of it's box, looks quite attractive in the driveway, and with an extension cord, could serve us well!  Not to be!  Nancy rallied the troops \(that being us!) and organizes how we are going to proceed.  Lift after lift, pause after pause, lift again, push, pull, breathe, pant, and push again, and what do you know?  I HAVE A FRIDGE...AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL...AND IT WORKS!!!!!
Thank you soooooooooo much Mighty Nancy and Mighty Kyle!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey

Unknown said...

Hey...comments were "down" for a few days...now we're running again. Thanks for your patience!