Saturday, April 10, 2010

"Safe Sex" the modern lie!

Even though I have always born boys, I have a strong concern for the young women around me, and the increasing pressure, and danger, of sexual activity.


Firstly, there is this uuniversally accepted lie, that teenagers can have "safe sex", and that the mere mention of "abstinence" is going to send them into a frenzied orgy from which they might never return!
My feeling is completely the opposite, and I try to share this with any young women who befriend me. I say and believe this because I know first hand the problems that I faced as a young sexually active girl, and I don't mean sexually transmitted diseases or pregnancy.  Those things can be prevented, but there are things that can't be prevented but no one wants to talk about them. 
I engaged in sexual activity at the age of 15. Although I was "physically capable" of having sex, I was far from emotionally ready to deal with the vulnerabilities, and responsibilities of such an intimate relationship. Granted I was messed up, having been sexually abused and dealing with the resulting psychological mess that creates. I also suffered from a profound lack of self esteem which left me with an insatiable yearning for affirmation. I strongly believe that affirming our young women, and teaching our young men to "cherish" and respect them, will go a long way to reducing sexual activity in teens. If young women learn to value themselves, physically, spiritually and mentally, they will be less likely to "give" themselves away.
As a society, we have gone from one extreme to the other.  Undoubtedly we don't want girls to be killing themselves following losing their virginity, but what is wrong with having an ideal to strive for.  Why can't we look up, instead of always looking down to level a playing field.  This may sound harsh, but when put into a different perspective, you may be surprised by what they think. Try this...
Provide your girl(s) with money bags, tied with a ribbon, and marked $1,000,000.00.  Give them a pen and paper and tell them that they need to come up with 5 character traits they would require from a boy, that would make them feel comfortable with sharing this treasure with them.  My girls were pretty street savvy, and definitely sexually active, but they couldn't come up with one character trait that would make them that comfortable!  Ask them to open the bags...the bags you have filled with money sized pieces of paper on which you have written....you are beautiful...your most intimate being worth more than $1000.000.00...your heart is beautiful....on and on any affirmation you can think of.
You have to do this, if only to see the looks on their faces when they open the bags...the very idea that anyone would think of themselves as more valuable than a $1,000,000.  Or even more surprising, that they could set boundaries on how their bodies were shared, or if they wanted to share them at all!
It was very interesting, and heartbreaking, and conversation changing.  If you do it you must let me know the rresult.  I pray that it will be life changing.

No comments: