Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Out" of Africa

For many many years when anyone would ask me where I would like to go in the world, my response was quick and simple..."Africa".  I've had an emotional love affair with this continent for ever. Characters like Elspeth.. movies like Born Free, Out of Africa and the whole never ending plight of the African people.  It is only recently, in the last 3 years or so that I realized that I could never go to Africa.  Not because I'm sick or that it's too expensive...those things both being true, but not the deep down truth of the matter...I couldn't go to Africa, or even be a missionary because it would most certainly break my heart and I would never recover.  I know that sounds silly and almost immature, self absorbed even, and often since I've had this realization I have scorned myself in those very same regards.  But now I don't.  Since the dawn of the Internet it is much easier to research all sorts of peoples experiences, and since I've been ill I have more time to read them.  But for me truthfully it's only been since January of this year, and starting this blog that I've afforded myself this very selfish activity of blogging!  I don't really have anything much to say, and I'm insignificant as "blogger authors" go, very little influence.  That aside I'd like to raise the issue of the silent observer, or chained activist.  So many individuals who have made it their purpose in life to raise awareness about an issue of inhumanity, either don't survive it at all, being killed during their expedition, or are slowly tortured to death by the apathy of humanity as their cries fall on deaf ears.  If you get a chance to read Kevin Carter's story is devastating...the young photographer wins a Pulitzer Prize for "want a meal" shown in my previous post, and then the world basically says "Wow that was a fantastic picture, did the girl die? did you see her die? did the vulture eat her? Oh........what's Britney Spears doing today?" and there you have it...the reason why he, and countless others can't go on after witnessing "it"....but the "it" isn't what we think....no...the "it" isn't the death; starvation; disease....nope.....the "it" is us....that's what they (those who are our witnesses to human tragedy) can't live with anymore....they can't live with the fact that if you are not one of them then you are one of us. They find it impossible to be in kinship with those who have truned their backs on the death and the disease and the dying...turned the page, changed the channel, closed the book....and have done nothing. They are left with this image and experience in their souls, and they carry "it" around with them for us...hoping that we too will witness their burden and be motivated to act....because these ongoing tradgedies are all preventable...they are not God ordained....the starving can be fed...the diseased water purified...the malaria treated along with the leprosy and dysentry...it can be done...it is being done.  Ministries all over the world are sending help, but the need is so great that they struggle under the burden.  Can you imagine...and I mean truly imagine...being in Africa, feeding the thousands...many many many people come, and you run out of food...but not out of people...a small child comes up to the big empty bowl with her brothers and they stick their fingers in to get any last drop to ease their bulging bellies.  How do you explain to them that "the world" doesn't have enough money to save them...but wait...that's a lie...how do you explain to them that their lives just aren't as important as the space program, or the Olympic Games, or even a daily coffee at Starbucks!
Sit that child down on your knee and explain that to him/her!
THAT'S WHY I CAN'T GO TO AFRICA
it would kill me.

No comments: