Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Good Day

I had the best day that I've had in such a long time that I won't even hazard a guess...lets just say way in the past, back even before I can't remember anything, but more recent than what I remember about the past!!!Anyone who has difficulty with memory will understand what I just said...and as for the rest of you...don't laugh too loudly because it's going to come to a theatre near you before you blink!!!! I woke up with minimal pain, and got Matt off to school with no problems, then showered (which is work for me and usually wears me out) and headed into town for an appointment. The day was sunny with just enough breeze to keep the black flies at bay, and I had already decided that after I picked up some groceries (you heard right...I'm on a roll) I would take the dogs out back through the woods.  On the way home though, I put in my Hall and Oates CD and found myself volume blasting, singing at the top of my lungs, laying down the beat on the steering wheel, and waving my arms up in the air through the sunroof (when safe of course).  I reached Athens way too soon, and being the small village that it is I didn't feel that it would be entirely appropriate for me to continue this behaviour all the way home so...I didn't go home!!! I drove down to the lake and through some back dirt lanes until my vocal chords were straining, and my ability to hold a note longer that 3 seconds had failed.  So I went home and took out the boys. Well they were ecstatic since I'd spent almost a week in bed, and off we went, peeing on every blade of grass and tree root for the first 15 minutes and then "the run" begins.  Of course I start to get sore, but you have to see Dudley's face as he tears off, his long thin body on those short little legs, and he's smiling....I'm totally serious, he smiles! You can't beat that! We go through a wooded trail, then out into a wetland, where the turtles scurry back off their tanning beds as we pass, and the beaver slaps it's tail in annoyance at out trespass!  Then there an apple orchard, which in a few weeks will be the most glorious place to be...I could sit out there for hours.  All of a sudden as we came past the old railroad tracks there was a flurry in the wind of pale petal like flutterings, and it caught me by surprise as I scanned around for the source.  A bush, a small tree....no...the petals were flying not floating, and sure enough the closer I got, and the more central I became inside the flurry I realized that they were tiny "common blue" butterflies!  Hundreds and hundreds of them!!Then Mourning Cloaks flew by, and a black swallowtail and a part of me flashed back to being 10 years old with my Rose's Lime Cordial, a net, and some killing jars, riding my "no speed" bike with the jars rattling in the basket, on my way to pick up Jane Thurley for our daily butterfly hunt!!  I learned allot from those summers by the railroad tracks, back in the days when you could be a kid and ride around until the lights came on without a care!  So what a day...I'm feeling it a bit tonight but I don't care..after Matt went to sleep I was watching "Whale Wars" and one of the guys in passing mentioned a quote as follows...

Below 50 degrees south, there is no law.
Below 60 degrees south, there is no hope.
Below 70 degrees south, there is no God

While I was trying to find the quote I stumbled on a blog by a young man who is basically travelling the world by foot, by rail, by plane (he flies) and by boat (to the Antarctica!!!)  He has some amazing photographs, and one in particular of an iceberg.  I was trying to imagine what it must have felt like to stand there and be surrounded by such incredible beauty!!! It made me happy for him...glad that there are people who are living large...my "living large" is different now, but I am truly blessed.  I put in a link to his site if you want to check it out.A Passage to...

No comments: