Friday, April 9, 2010

Abortion...a final solution?

Over the past few weeks HBO has been running  "If These Walls Could Talk" 1 and 2.  The first deals with the evolution of society's acceptance of abortion, the second deals with acceptance of Homosexuality. Now you all know how I love HBO, and it's sister station CNN, but  this movie seems to have become increasingly irritating to me, the older I get!  Is that because I'm becoming more conservative with age?  No, I don't think so.  I have always been against abortion.  I think, however, my understanding as to why I am against it has grown with experience, and knowledge. Within a few months of being sexually active, at age 16, I realized that I was pregnant. I had access to birth control at my Dad's office...there were samples.  I'm not sure why I didn't take them, but there you are, I didn't and it was done.  I NEVER considered abortion, and my boyfriend never suggested it.  I was adopted, and as a result I had a strong sense that if abortion had been readily available when my own mother was pregnant, then I wouldn't have been given the chance to exist...and who should have the right to make that decision? I gave my first child up for adoption, and for certain it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  But it was me who made the mistake, and I felt strongly that he should not have to pay the price.  Not a single day goes by that I don't think of him, and anyone who has ever known me, knows of him. The whole experience was mind numbing, and most importantly I was not emotionally, psychologically, or spiritually ready, or able to deal with a "sexual" relationship.  My heart had no way to handle it.

I have given birth to 4 boys, and raised 3.  Each of my children are unique individuals with special gifts, and their own "flare" and "style". 
If you are considering an abortion please read that sentence again!...

Each of my children are unique individuals with special gifts, and their own "flare" and "style".
You cannot replace him/her...you are not "delaying" having a family for a more convenient time.

He/She is a unique, one of a kind, human being/person, that you are eliminating from society!
FOREVER...



Why are we so cavalier about this?  Not just cavalier, but so insistent about the right to abort that "pro lifers" are ostracized in the mainstream media and depicted as "crazy Christian zealots"!.  For instance in this HBO film the doctor character, played by Cher, says she will explain the abortion procedure as she goes along so there "won't be any surprises", but then fails to explain anything at all, other than the insertion of the speculum and the "needle stick" into the woman's cervix.  She passes a variety of surgical instruments under the woman's gown, and when the suction is passed up,  presumably to suction out the now dead fetus, the only comment is... "you'll hear some noise, don't be scared"...which seems like such a grave understatement of the truth.  If you're gonna share the truth, then share it!  Meanwhile The protesters outside this abortion clinic are all characterized as unintelligent, violent, Jesus crazy people, who end up shooting the doctor !  Every character who is pro life is either cruel or crazy, and every character who is pro choice is well adjusted and intelligent ...and ready to point out all the mis-statements of the protesters but giving no detail about the abortion procedure...which makes me a little confused...what is the difference between omitting the truth, and lying?  Why is it considered wrong to discuss the actual details of an abortion at different stages of pregnancy?  It seems that "informed consent" is not really required for abortion because no one wants to "talk" about it.  I have sat by the bedside of a 15 year old whose doctor had not explained to her that he had placed a cone in her cervix to dilate it!  She had no idea what was happening to her. None.
Do you know how many individuals are eliminated each year in Canada? Check it out
Abortion Statistics... You know, if we were talking about that many puppies we'd be outraged!! How sad is that!
The real truth of the matter is...we have gone too far...we've lost the magic.  In the name of liberation, we've tossed out the importance of cherishing innocence; the possibility of being cared for; and the right to have expectations in our relationships and our daughters are paying the price.

No comments: