Monday, May 15, 2017

Chihuahua Love!

How a body so small can fill a heart with love!
I have loved many dogs, most large but a few small, and I must be honest in saying that I had never seen myself as a Chihuahua owner!  Big dogs seemed to fit my lifestyle better. Firstly, I loved to be outside hiking or skiing on the trails that are right behind my house.  If I had lived here as a child, I think I would have gone out on the first day of spring, and not returned until late fall!  I would ride my nospeed bicycle quite a distance in the blazing summer heat, to chase butterflies in the fields next to the rail lines.  My dog in my childhood was first a cocker spaniel, Simon, who was lovely as long as you didn't move your feet during dinner and risk losing a toe!  He died suddenly at 1 year old, leaving me devastated for more weeks than even my parents could tolerate, and finally gave in to aquiring a beagel/labrador mix called "Pickles".  ( actually my parents euthanized Simon, but I didn't know that until last year at age 57!) But I digress...the point is that I have had Labs; Pit Bulls; Golden Retriver and retriever mixes; poodle mixes; schnoodle mixes...but the smallest dog I have ever loved is Ollie! All 6 to 10 lbs of him! He is full of character and bosses me around all the time, even now, at 17, he lives to play "bark and scruff" with me...he barks...I bark back...he scruffs his back leg at me...and I scruff my hand at him! We keep going until he gives up and comes close to me for a good scratching of all those bits he can no longer reach...he's fat now!
Thanks Darlene for forcing him on me ( she kept asking and asking for me to take him until I finally gave in ! ) I love him more than I could have ever known I would!💓